Local Interest (Essex County / Windsor, Ontario)
- Book lovers in the Windsor, Ontario area may be interested to know that Dan Wells (who used to run Biblioasis downtown and shut it down to go exclusively into publishing) has just published the news that he has bought a property on 1520 Wyandotte East for the purposes of reviving his bookstore!
- People and governments in the West who are supporting and cheering on the rebels in Syria ought to take a long hard look at this article from Human Rights Watch. The rebels, who are largely being supported by the Western powers, are acting quite savagely, with crimes including 12 documented cases of extrajudicial executions, extortion, beatings, torture, etc.
- Another 5 to 8 civilians have been killed by NATO in Afghanistan.
- This conference on property rights looks like it was good.
- According to this study by the Fraser Institute, Canada leads North America in economic freedom. In world economic freedom the U.S. ranks 18th and Canada ranks 5th. The study measured size of government:,. legal system and property right, access to sound money, and freedom to trade internationally, and regulation of cred, labour, and business: 8.48 (sixth overall)